35 Simple and Easy DIY Spring Front Porch Decor Ideas
Let’s create some DIY spring front porch decor.
Springtime is almost here, meaning the warmer months are coming. We all are looking forward to escaping the house and spending time in our outdoor spaces. Whether you have a large front porch or a small one, you will enjoy sprucing up your space for the summer months.
There are many ways to decorate your porch on a budget. Shop your own home. Visit a flea market and thrift stores to see what you can find. You may just be surprised. Thrifting is one of my favorite things to do. I love finding a bargain and then upcycling it for my home.
Today I am joining several friends on the porch to welcome Spring. If you have come over from Robyn’s @robynsfrenchnest, I have no doubt you enjoyed some time on her beautiful porch. Welcome, I am grateful you have joined us today.
If you are new to my blog, I am Wendy from WM Design House, and I enjoy sharing my home and garden with you.
On my blog, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. I always appreciate when you use my links. Thank you!
Choose a color scheme
1. Spring is full of gorgeous colors. Do you have plans to decorate your porch this year? I have used black and white as my foundation colors and green and straw as my accent colors. I am going for a neutral spring porch decor this year, what colors would you choose? there is no wrong answer here.
You can use the same colors that you use in your house for a very cohesive look.
Or add a pop of bright colors for a vibrant and cheery porch or some soft pastel shades for a more romantic look.
My best advice is to use colors that make you feel good in your space.
What are the porch trends for 2023?
I am not one to typically follow the trends. Instead, I stick to my style and what I love. Your front porch ideas should reflect you and your style. Surrounding yourself with the things you love is my motto.
Here are just a few DIY Spring porch decor trends I have seen lately. And it just so happens that a couple of these ideas would work well for me.
- Mono-tone porches. Create a tranquil space in a muted color palette for you and your friends to relax.
- Create a garden on the porch. A paradise of plants will make the porch feel like an extension of your greenhouse.
- Use Terracotta pots or woven baskets to hold all of your plants. Leave a few pots empty, and create a stack of pots. Both of these items add color and a layer of texture to the porch that is so lovely.
How to use the trends
- Using bright colors to create a beautiful display of fresh flowers or pops of color on the couch with throw pillows is an easy way to decorate your porch.
- Paint your front door a new color. This is a quick and easy way to change up the look of your front entry.
- Hang a glass front door.
- Use dark and earthy tones. These colors are a beautiful way to add a warm welcome to your porch.
- Add a new modern light fixture or some beautiful solar powered lanterns from lights.com. I love to place these lanterns on my steps to invite guests into my home. They add just the perfect amount of light needed and they never have to be lit.
There are several styles to choose from.
Starting points to creating DIY Spring front porch decor
- To determine your Porch style is key. Is it Farmhouse style, traditional, modern, or cottage style? or maybe industrial?
- Decide on your color scheme.
- Create a focal point. Since my porch is broken up into two sides, I create a focal point on both sides of my front door. My wooden bench that is thrifted ( made out of an old bed frame) is my focal point on the right side, and my porch swing is my focal point on the left.
- Arrange your furniture to create conversation areas. A couch, a bench , a coffee table, rocking chairs or even a little chair tucked in a corner or sitting next to the front door.
- Create a foundation with an outdoor rug. This is an easy way to update your porch for the season and adds warmth and charm to the outdoor space.
Perfect opportunity to clean up before you decorate
- Give your old furniture a makeover with a can of Rustoleum spray paint.
- Paint your railings and trim with a fresh coat of white paint.
- Power wash the porch and wash your windows. This always feels so good. I love using my Ryobi power washer.
Decorating with DIY Spring front porch decor
Now that your porch is clean and you have arranged your furniture and placed your foundational pieces let’s decorate.
Add large accessories first
Here is a list of large accessories I used on my own porch that make a great addition and adds some curb appeal. I like to mix vintage pieces in with my new pieces for a special touch.
- A vintage wood wheel barrel, filled with an assortment of spring decor. A birdhouse, some faux greenery and a vintage seeds sign. (all of this was purchased from local estate sales).
- Two large planters with topiaries for either side of the front door. Symmetry is key.
- A vintage wood crate we use as a coffee table in front of my bench.
Creating DIY Spring front porch decor
Decorate your front door
- Make a Spring wreath using a grapevine wreath and fresh or faux florals. I love adding fresh lemons to my wreath at the beginning of each spring with just a pop of yellow on the door as well: it smells so good.
- Hang a basket of pink flowers on the front door. The basket adds such a charming touch, and I love the added texture.
- A bouquet of faux flowers tied with a beautiful bow creates a fresh look on your door for the season.
- Create a beautiful wreath using moss and bird nests. I used a store bought nest, but you never know, I may get a real one soon as the birds love my porch.
Other DIY Spring porch ideas
- Add large flowerpots with fresh or faux flowers and greenery.
- Use galvanized tubs or buckets to hold your spring plants and flowers.
- Welcome signs are a great way to fill up some empty wall space.
- Add an old milk can or vintage watering cans around your flowerpots.
- Make a few moss mushrooms. They are so cute and look fabulous sitting on my porch steps. (keep your eyes out for the tutorial on my blog next week).
Adding small details to your DIY Spring porch decor ideas
- Visit your local nursery and find some small potted plants that work well in your space. (I cannot use real plants on my front porch due to the watering issues, so I stick to faux plants).
- Use beautiful lanterns for lighting. These lanterns from Lights.com are my favorite. They are pretty and run on solar energy. These lanterns charge on my front porch all day, creating a beautiful glow in the evening.
- Add strands of market lights across the porch or along the railings.
- Add some sweet rabbits for the spring season. They are so cute and always a welcoming sign of spring.
- Add some old rain boots and stick some flowers in them. You can even paint them as I did in this image from last fall.
My favorite way to add Spring decor with a few special touches
- Use ribbon to decorate. You can add a bow to your wreath; if you have a rabbit, add a bow around his neck, or inner twine some ribbon in an arrangement.
- Add small accessories to your coffee table, such as a dough bowl, candlesticks, or some Easter eggs.
- I love to read on the porch, so be sure to add a few spring magazines for your friends and family to enjoy while they are relaxing.
- It can get chilly in the evenings, so have a throw blanket handy. It will also look attractive hanging over the top of the rocking chair or on your porch swing.
- Throw pillows are another great way to add color and charm to your porch. Mix and match some fun patterns and colors for spring. You can buy simple pillow covers on Etsy or Amazon rather inexpensviely.
A bit of inspiration from the garden
- Bring a bit of the garden up on the porch with a vase of fresh spring flowers.
- Every porch needs a pitcher of lemonade, Iced tea, and a few plastic glasses, and you are ready for guests anytime. Maybe even put out a few snacks.
- Music is another must-have on the porch, even if it is just background music with the birds chirping.
- Don’t forget the dogs or the cats, yup…. I don’t know about yours, but our animals love to sit on the porch and soak up the warm sunshine. And they add a special touch of cuteness to the porch as well.
- Lastly, you need your friends, family, and neighbors to come over and enjoy your beautiful porch. After all, that is what a porch is for. A porch is meant to spend time with those we love, sitting back, relaxing, and taking in all your surroundings.
I sure hope you enjoyed this tour of my front porch. If only you could all come over for a glass of tea, that would make me so happy. Now it is time to go visit my dear friend Michelle @thistlekeylane. You will adore her sweet porch and the creative ways she decorates.
There are also seven other beautiful porches to see. Lots of Spring inspiration in each post, so be sure to stop by and visit them all. Click on the images below.
Fabulous Friday Link Party 6.2.23
Welcome to the Fabulous Friday Link Party The Fabulous Friday Link Party is the place where we celebrate everything about the home. Here you will find inspiration from dozens of bloggers including recipes, home DIY, gardening, decor, and so much more. As a courtesy to the hosts, we ask that you follow every host on…
7 FREE Dinner Party Printables; 4th of July Ideas
I have a special treat for you today! I have decorated your next dinner party for you. Yup, I am going to decorate your table for your summer dinner party. I have designed a creative way to decorate your next gathering, from the dinner party invitation, menu cards, and everything you need to create a…
Saturday Sharing from the She-shed Volume 22
Welcome to Saturday’s sharing from the She Shed. It was another busy week here at WM Design House. Have you ever played Pickleball? It is the number one growing sport in the USA. I have been playing for a few years now and love it. I play with a group of girls every Monday and…
I absolutely loved reading this blog post about DIY spring front porch decor ideas! It brought back memories of my own experiences of transforming my porch for the warmer months. I remember scouring flea markets and thrift stores to find unique pieces to upcycle and add a personal touch to my space. It’s amazing how a few simple changes can create such a joyful and inviting atmosphere.
Thank you so much. Our front porch is one of our favorite places to hang out. I appreciate you stopping by today.
I do love a pretty porch, and yours is just lovely! Thanks for all the decorating ideas. . . I need to get busy freshening mine up.
Thanks so much for joining the Grace at Home party at Imparting Grace. I’m featuring you this week!
Your porch is perfection Wendy. You pup looks so comfortable hanging out on the porch, so adorable. I wish we had a larger porch so I could decorate it with a bit of flair, you have so many wonderful tips and ideas. Love all of the bunnies sprinkled throughout!
Thank you Cara, so kind of you to stop by. We enjoy the porch so much in the spring an summertime.
Such a beautiful porch! It all looks so welcoming! Thank you so much for sharing at Tuesday Turn About. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
Thank you so much Lynne. So kind of you to stop by and visit.
I love your porch! It is such a good size and you have decorated it so beautifully. The lanterns are gorgeous!
Thank you Crystal.
Wow everything looks so wonderful!
What a fantastic porch to decorate for every season! I love seeing your sweet pup and all your pretty outdoor spring decor! By the way those moss mushrooms are just adorable! What time are you serving cocktails on the porch?
Oh, How I wish you could come to sit on the porch with me! nothing would make me happier.
It looks so warm and lovely out there!! Send it my way!! Everything looks fresh and pretty for Spring.
Thank you Jennifer. It was 80 degrees today and the sun is shining. I will be complaining soon I am sure! lol
I love your porch swing with that cute bunny pillow! Everything looks so good, friend!
Thank you so much, Kim. I will look forward to you joining next time.
Wendy, all wonderful tips for the porch. I think knowing your style is key. It’s an expansion of the inside out to porch to welcome your guest. Love seeing your fur baby. You porch is stunning my friend!
Thank you so much, Tammy. Those fur babies love the porch! I think it is their favorite place to be.
Love how you created a garden on your porch look Wendy! The topiaries are beautiful! I’m enjoying reading all the b ideas and other posts as well. Happy spring to you!!
Thank you Susan!
Your porch looks so beautiful. Perfect for Spring. I love all of the pretty details.
Thank you so much Renae, thank you for stopping by.
Thank you for hosting such a fun hop Wendy! Your front porch looks amazing. Thank you for the inspiration!
Thank you for joining me, Amy! I cannot wait to see your newly painted front door.
I love all your creative porch ideas. The lanterns and that concrete bunny planter especially. Thanks for including me and for organizing
Thank you for joining me for the porch tour today Rachel.