Easy to make, and even easier to love, see how simple it is to make our family’s favorite chocolate covered Rice Krispie Treats for Valentine’s Day.
I am joining 15 blogging friends to share homemade Valentine’s Day treats for the Pinterest challenge hosted by my friend Cindy @countyroad407.
For those of you who popped over from my friend Lora’s @lorabloomquist, welcome!
I am sure you fell in love with her recipe for meringue shells with chocolate fudge. I know I did.
On my blog WM Design House, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link.
Valentine’s Day is a time to get creative in the kitchen by making delicious treats for your family and friends.
Speaking of mouthwatering sweets, I have something special to share that is sure to put a sweet smile on everyone’s face – homemade Rice Krispie Treats!
But these aren’t just any ooey-gooey sweets. I’m sharing my recipe for our family’s favorite chocolate-covered Rice Krispie Treats for Valentine’s Day.
These heart-shaped Rice Krispie Treats are not only delicious but also incredibly easy to whip up. No need to turn on the oven; this no-bake recipe is perfect for spreading love and joy with minimal effort.
So grab a box of cereal, some chocolate, and a bottle of festive sprinkles. Then join me in the kitchen to make some chocolate-dipped crispy treats.
Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Valentine’s Day Treats
- Mixing bowls
- Large saucepan
- Parchment paper
- Rubber spatula
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Valentine’s cookie cutters
- Double boiler
- Baking sheet
Ingredients for Chocolate-Covered Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 pounds white chocolate melting tablets, divided
- Canola oil (to thin the chocolate)
- Chocolate coloring (optional)
- Valentine’s Day sprinkles (optional)
- Non-stick cooking spray (to grease your 9 x 13 baking pan)
Directions to Make Chocolate-Covered Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie Treats
I grew up on old-fashioned Rice Krispie Treats and my love for them has not changed. It’s seems that love has even been passed on to the next generation.
Now I have several granddaughters and one grandson who would be so disappointed if I did not make them a few of these special Rice Krispie Treats for Valentine’s Day!
But what could make these simple homemade treats even better? How about some chocolate! A quick dunk into some warm and melty white chocolate takes this easy Valentine’s Day dessert to a whole other level!
Here are the directions to make my simple white chocolate-covered treats.
PREPARE THE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- Spray your 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Add 5 cups of mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove the saucepan from heat. Pour the Rice Krispies cereal into the marshmallow mixture and gently fold in until well coated.
- Gently press the mixture into your greased 9×13-inch baking dish, spreading it evenly. Pat down with parchment paper so the Rice Krispie Treats do not stick to your fingers.
- Allow the Rice Krispie Treats to cool in the refrigerator to cool for about 30 minutes.
CUTTING THE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- Use an assortment of fun Valentine’s Day cookie cutters to cut your Rice Krispie treats into several sizes of hearts
TIP FROM WENDY’S KITCHEN: Cut your Rice Krispie Treats before they become too chilled, as it is easier to cut them.
How To Dip Your Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie Treats in Chocolate
Now comes the fun part! Using a double boiler, place 1 pound of the chocolate melts in the top pan and allow them to melt fully.
If you want, you can add a little bit of canola oil to thin the chocolate slightly.
If you want to tint your chocolate to create some fun and festive Valentine’s day colors, you can use a food-safe dye.
I used this Ameri Color brand candy dye to create a light pink shade. (Note: A few drops go a long way, so you don’t need much!)
Once you dip your Rice Krispie treat in the chocolate, place it on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper to let the chocolate harden.
After the first layer of chocolate dries, melt the second pound of white chocolate and add a bit more canola oil to thin it out.
Then drizzle some of the plain white chocolate on your Rice Krispie Treats and other Valentine’s Day sweets to add the final finishing touches.
Don’t they look so good?
TIP FROM WENDY’S KITCHEN: If you want to top your cut out Rice Krispie Treats with Valentine’s Day sprinkles , be sure to sprinkle them on while the chocolate is still wet. Then, place them on the parchment paper and place the tray in the refrigerator to cool quickly.
What Else Can You Dip in Chocolate for Valentine’s Day?
While I am at it, it’s not just Rice Krispies that get the special treatment at our house. I dip just about anything I can find in the pantry in chocolate.
Because isn’t everything better when it is dipped in rich and creamy chocolate? I certainly think so!
In addition to the heart-shaped Rice Krispie treats, I also dipped some Oreos, vanilla wafers, and pretzels. The combination of treats creates such a pretty presentation.
If you are looking for other ideas, here are even more treats you can dip in chocolate:
- Sugar cookies
- Mini donuts
- Giant marshmallows
Tips For Making Rice Krispie Treats
- Take Your Time: Slow and steady is the name of the game! Melting your butter and marshmallows over low heat will prevent the mixture from getting too hot, which in turn makes your Rice Krispie treats hard. It is best to heat the mixture slowly ensuring light and soft Rice Krispie Treats.
- Keep Your Treats Fresh: Rice Krispie Treats should be stored in a air-tight food storage container or plastic zipper bag. They can be kept on the counter at room temperature for a couple of days, or stored in the refrigerator for about five days.
Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Valentine’s Day Treats
Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie Treats Dipped in Chocolate
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 double boiler
- 1 set of measuring cups
- 1 Set of measuring spoons
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 9 x 13 baking pan
- 1 roll of parchment paper
- Valentine's Day cookie cutters
- 1 baking sheet
For the Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 Cups miniature marshmallows
For the Dipping Chocolate
- 2 lbs white chocolate melting disks, divided
- food-safe dye (optional)
- canola oil (to thin the chocolate)
- Valentine's Day sprinkles (optional)
To Make The Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Over low-medium heat, melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add marshmallows and melt until smooth.
- Pour over the dry Rice Krispies and mix well.
- Dump the Rice Krispie mixture into your prepared baking pan.
- Pat down and spread evenly with using your hand and a piece of parchment paper.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool for up to 30 minutes.
- Once cool, cut out shapes using Valentine's Day cookie cutters.
To Make the Dipping Chocolate
- Melt one pound of chocolate in a double boiler. Thin with a drop of canola oil if needed.
- Add food-safe dye and dip Rice Krispie Treats into the chocolate.
- Place the chocolate-covered Rice Krispie Treats onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to cool.
- If desired, melt a second pound of chocolate and drizzle over the top of the treats.
- While the chocolate is still wet, top with Valentine's Day sprinkles. (Optional)
More Sweet Treats for Valentine’s Day
Well, that’s about it for me. I hope you enjoyed my Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie Treats.
If you love this recipe, you might also enjoy some of my other favorite desserts:
- Copycat Warm Mastro’s Butter Cake Recipe
- Layered Angel Food Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- How to Make Marshmallows (Homemade Mini Marshmallows Recipe)
Next, stop by to visit my friend Laura from @everydayedits. You will see that Laura and I think alike. Nothing better than something sweet and salty.
Hoping you have a wonderful day.
Add a touch of style and sweet treats to your kitchen with these practical and stylish Valentines tiered tray decor ideas. Do you add Valentine’s Day decor to your home? I love Valentine’s Day, but I have to admit that I only add a few touches here and there. I just put Christmas away and…
Discover the joy of crafting with our easy DIY rag wreath tutorial! You will create a charming heart-shaped wreath using a tea-dyed fabric.
Explore five delightful ways to infuse love into your Valentine’s Day. Discover free printable banners, the art of heart-folded napkins, and more.