Hello from Sunny California!
The temperatures have been in the triple digits for several days, and I hope for some relief soon. Hurricane Hillary is off the coast of California, and we are supposed to get loads of rain this weekend.
I think it is just hot everywhere.
We try to get out early in the morning for a walk before we must hunker down in the air conditioning. One of my favorite things is to see the wildlife out and about.
Even the squirrels stopped to take a rest on the bench.
Last weekend we went to San Jose to help some friends with a project. They are giving their kitchen a bit of a facelift, and we helped paint the new wooden stove top hood with the most incredible paint from Modern Masters.
Isn’t this amazing? This paint is a metal finish process using three different products. I love the effect.
What’s Happening in the Garden
The garden is still going strong despite facing a few hurdles this week.
First, the high temps, and secondly I had a bit of a fungus issue.
The fungus hit the dahlias hard. I gave them a good haircut and sprayed them. They seem to be coming back nicely and should give us a few more blooms before the weather changes.
The zucchini still gives us plenty of vegetables, and the Coleus, Rudebeckia, and Zinnias look fantastic.
Even with the warm temperatures, I have started to decorate for fall and start my DIY projects.
What Happened This Past Week
I Made My Own Fall Tree
DIY Dollar Tree Pumpkin Magnolia Arrangement
Things that have inspired me this week
One of the best parts of being a blogger is reading others blogs. I am always so inspired by what I see. Here are a few of my favorites from this week.
Kids are back to school and my friend Chloe made the cutest BTS cake.
I also love this DIY wall art, these botanical prints are fabulous.
And I loved reading these mouthwatering recipes and facts all about watermelon.
If you are looking for a quick and beautiful DIY for fall, my friend Rachel made these adorable napkin rings.
Fabulous Finds for August
I know the daytime temperatures are still high, but I can feel the evenings cooling off. Or maybe it’s just my imagination because I’m so ready for fall. How about you? Here are a few things I am looking forward to.
- I cannot wait to slip on my cozy sweater coat for a relaxed evening around the fireplace or throw this blanket over my legs.
- I will add lots of fall decor around my home in the next few weeks, including these gorgeous hammered brass candlesticks and these linen throw pillows. I love the soft-washed linen material with the raw edge they have. I even have a fun DIY I will be doing with one of the pillows.
- I bought these faux pomegranates last year and loved the pop of color they give on my coffee table in a beautiful wood vase. They are just the right amount of color.
- I shared this adorable pleated lampshade on my Instagram this week, and so many of you loved it! I got so many messages wanting the link.
It comes in 2 sizes and you won’t believe the price! I replaced a shade on a lamp in my sitting area with the larger size for a change, and I am loving it!
There is also a really cute blue pattern one that I bought, as well.
- Last month I shared a super cute and cozy outfit that I have been wearing this summer.
I discovered last week that it also comes in a long sleeve version, so I just got one and planning to order another color.
It has been a great travel outfit this summer and still cute for running errands or a lunch date.
- I am a sucker for all things pumpkin, so I had to have this cute white pumpkin shape soup tureen. I think it will look cute this fall mixed in with my ironstone soup tureen collection.
There are also small individual soup bowls with a lid that go with it.
- And can we talk about this glass pumpkin dome?? It is a bit of a splurge, but it would be so amazing for fall decor and functional, as well.
My friend Amy is sharing all of her favorite fall scents.
- I’ve started decorating for fall and I love the plaid throw and lumbar pillow that I recently purchased from Target.
- These faux florals look amazing in my fall entryway.
- I found these frames at Micheals that I used to frame the FREE Printables that are on my blog.
- I’m loving these fall salad plates that would be beautiful on a fall tablescape.
- Have you seen the amazing fall clothing that Walmart offers in the Time and Tru Line? I’m eyeballing some sweaters to wear with jeans. A zippered sweater in green and one in gray would be perfect for those chilly nights.
- And here are a few more that I am considering for those fall and winter months: a v-neck with cute shoulder details in gray and this gorgeous blue, and this chunky knit cardigan that comes in black and neutral cream
- Our kids live away and like to come for the weekend. So my office often is converted to a spare room on the fly. This 18″ King Size inflatable mattress is perfect for our daughter and son-in-law who is 6’4″! The mattress needed an extra deep fitted sheet and this one is so soft! Maybe they will stay over more often now!
- Two things I use over and over in my kitchen are this magnetic microwave splatter cover (this thing saves me so much microwave cleaning since you can throw it in the dishwasher!) and a roll-up dish drainer that is also a veggie drying rack. It rolls up and tucks away when I’m not using it!
- Transitioning to Fall? Scents are a great starting point. Perfect timing. Pier 1’s celebrating their birthday with 61% off many items. Their highly rated, really large and beautiful $39.95 candles are included!!! At $15.59 maybe I don’t have to decide between Pumpkin, Apple Crisp or Rustic Woodlands (three of my favorites).
- This long lumber pillow from Hearth & Home would be great along the back of the couch. swapping out for two brighter blue and white Summer throw pillows. It’s long enough it would probably fill a loveseat. The texture is perfect for transitional coziness.
- Home Goods always has an amazing assortment of seasonal decor accents. This crystal ball with swirling smoke inside caught my eye. It would be a great focal point in a tray display. Along with this tower skulls.
- Seasonless question: Have you tried Tube Mascara yet? Woo hoo! I love it! My fave, this one from Tarte, is on sale (that never happens) for $15. (shipping included!) That’s a steal. Hurry over while it lasts. They call it lash extensions in a tube. That might be over-selling it a bit, but I do agree it’s great!
On that happy note, I hope you have a great weekend, and I will see you next week.
Elevate your Halloween with a spooky yet elegant tablescape, including five DIY projects you can make at home.
Discover the perfect blend of smoky and savory with our Easy Smoked Brussels Sprouts recipe with Maple Bacon—a delightful side dish.
Styling a vignette is an artful way to bring personality and charm to any room in your home. Whether you want to showcase cherished collectibles, create a seasonal display, or add visual interest to a space, here are some tips to help you style a vignette effectively:
As autumn sets in, it’s time to spice up your fall decor with some stunning patina pumpkins created using metal paint. Get ready to discover how to turn ordinary pumpkins into unique, rustic masterpieces that will elevate your seasonal decorating game. Join us as we dive into the world of metal-painted pumpkins and add a…
As the temperature cools off and leaves start to turn this time of the year, Trader Joe’s unveils its enchanting lineup of pumpkin-flavored delights, setting the stage for my beloved autumn pastime: baking. In our home, baking with my granddaughters is a treasured tradition that warmly fills our hearts and cookie jars. After all, visiting…
The weather has been getting cooler, which is quite enjoyable. Today, we reached a high of 73 degrees. I hope you’re also experiencing this pleasant change. It seems like most of us are eagerly anticipating the arrival of fall. The other day, I was on my way out the door to go for a walk…