Turn an antique farm disc into a unique water feature for your yard.
If you are looking for a creative way to spruce up your yard, adding a water feature is a great way to do it. Water features add a stunning visual element and can tie a space together to make it feel complete.
Knowing my love for antiques and do-it-yourself projects, you know I didn’t choose an ordinary store-bought water fountain for our yard! Instead, we transformed an antique farm disc into a fantastic water fountain.
It might look like a big project, but this unique DIY water fountain comes together in just a few steps with a bit of preparation, and the result is truly incredible!
You may be wondering what an antique farm disc is? Also called a tractor disc harrow or a farm harrow, a farm disc is a piece of agricultural equipment that attaches to the back of a tractor. The metal discs serve as cutting edges to break up large clumps of dirt to prepare the soil for planting.
For this project, you will want to use an antique farm disc. A little age and rust give this water feature a lot of character!
When obtaining a tractor disc harrow, you will want to look for one approximately 5 feet tall with at least five or more discs of roughly 14 inches in diameter and spaced about 6 inches apart.
Search for farm estate sales or used farm equipment sales in your area. You can also find them for sale online if you cannot find one locally.
It would be best to consider a few things when choosing the best location for your fountain.
First, the location needs to have electrical access.
Secondly, it needs the ability to have the water container reservoir recessed into the ground. A disappearing water feature basin can be used for in-ground installations. They sit flush with the ground and make maintenance super easy.
1. Drill out the center axel of the disc harrow with a ½-inch to 5/8-inch diameter bit. Most likely, you will need to have this done at a machine shop. However, we found a gun specialist who had a drill bit long enough to get through the entire disc.
2. Weld, a 3-legged stand to the bottom of the disc harrow to stand upright. Again, we took this to a welder, as we did not have the proper equipment.
3. You need to purchase a water basin ( like above) with a diameter that will fit the legs of the upright disc and at least 14 inches deep to hold water to circulate through the fountain. In addition, it is best if the container has a grate on top to limit debris from falling into the water. Remember, the legs need to fit through the grate to stand supported by the bottom of the container. If you purchase a plastic one like the one pictured earlier, you will need to drill holes in it for the legs. We used a metal basin and added the open cage-like metal on the top to hold the fountain in place.
4. Purchase a submersible electric water pump to handle at least 150 gallons per hour. Adjustable flow is a preferred option.
5. Purchase plastic tubing that will connect the water pump and fit inside the bottom hole diameter of the disc harrow. Usually, the diameter of the pump will be larger than the diameter drilled into the fountain, so you will need a clamp to marry the two different sizes.
6. Dig a hole for the fountain container that will allow about a 2-inch lip above the ground for the container. Place the fountain legs through the top grate and rest them on the bottom of the container.
7. Place the submersible pump into the container and connect the pump to the fountain with the plastic tube(s). The line must be pushed up into the bottom of the fountain and fit snugly to minimize seepage.
8. Fill the container with water and plug the submersible pump into a 110 outlet. Adjust the flow so that the water bubbles out the top.
9. Enjoy your antique farm disc fountain! The best practice is to place small river rocks around the fountain area and on the grate for the fountain for a disappearing water effect. We also add a chlorine tablet every six weeks to keep the water fresh.
I assume if you have read this far, you will enjoy the garden and vintage treasures. You may also want to check out my vintage garden tool post for some more garden inspiration.
Outdoor water features can bring more than just a beautiful visual element to an outdoor space. The trickling water also brings a sense of calm and relaxation. You may wish to include a small seating area nearby to create the perfect spot to sit and enjoy some relaxing stress relief at the end of a long day!
If you are a wildlife lover, you may be interested in knowing that a water feature can also attract all sorts of wildlife to your property. For example, you may see birds, frogs, and other animals visit your fountain searching for water and a refreshing place to cool off.
Who would have thought that a rusty antique farm disc could be transformed into a beautiful water fountain, perfect for relaxing and enjoying nature?
Here are a few places you can purchase these if you cant find one locally
Tractor Harrow disc from ebay
Tractor harrow disc from ebay